Thursday 16 May 2013

Sunny Ade's guitarist sentenced to 3yrs in jail for drug trafficking

King Sunny Ade's ex-guitarist, Fatoke Abiodun, was on Tuesday May 14th sentenced to three years imprisonment for drug trafficking at the Federal High Court, Lagos. The 62-year-old Abiodun was a guitarist with King Sunny Ade, Nigeria's foremost musician. If you missed it, read it (HERE)

Abiodun who has three wives and 12 children was apprehended by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on January 1st, 2013, at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos while attempting to board an Air France flight to Italy.

He however blamed poverty for this;

“My music career is a sad story. I played for King Sunny Ade for 30 years before I was unceremoniously retired in 2007 without severance benefit. I was unprepared for it and I saw the bitter side of life. This is my first time of trafficking drugs. I did it out of frustration because at my age, I could not provide for my family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment