Wednesday 6 April 2016

Photos: Meet the 56yr old model who is the oldest woman to have been featured in Sports Illustrated

Nicola Griffin, a size 16, single mother from Nottingham is the oldest model to have been featured in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit edition. She took up modelling for want of something to do after her kids all flew the nest.  Now she's the star of a shoot for SLiNK magazine, the only print plus-size fashion magazine worldwide, for its 'Passion Issue', celebrating passionate women across all ages.

Nicola told SLiNK: 'Young girls open magazines and it influences them so much about body image. I think it's very good for them to see different sized women because otherwise they can feel bad about themselves if they don't look like the models.
'When you get to 56 you don't know how long you have got left in the world, and this is how you look - so embrace it.
'I've been young, I've been worried, I've been under pressure. I've felt all those things and I don't want to feel them any more.
'I'm determined to enjoy each day. I grab every opportunity and make the best of it. That's the path. I'm on now.
'This seems to be my moment and I'm really happy. Life definitely begins over fifty.'
Talking about her decision to become a model, Nicola said: 'I haven’t heard any negativity.
'I’ve had fantastic feedback from women saying they finally feel they have a model that represents and inspires them. It’s been wonderful.
 She advises other women to care less about what other people think of them, telling other aspiring older models: 'The key is not listening to what other people tell you. Brave it out - you’ve got to go for it with a passion. Be brave and strong. You have got nothing to lose and everything to gain.'
You might think looking so good at 56 comes with impossible dietary commitments but Nicola doesn't diet, she said: "I eat a lot of fruit and veg. I like kiwis, nuts, green smoothies made with spinach and bananas, and I have porridge for breakfast."
She has also cut back on alcohol and invested in good facial oils, fitness is essential, she attends Zumba classes, a fitness dance regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment